A gothic church stands on the top of the Gradišče hill, dedicated to the Mother of God of Seven Sorrows. There are also the Chapel of St. Ana and the chapel of St. Mohor and Fortunat. The way to the church is marked with the Stations of the Cross. The central church, which was formerly the pilgrim’s church, originates from the 15th century. Large hewed pillars emphasise its original Gothic style. The interior is preserved in the original form only in a three-sided presbytery. There is a very interesting altar from the second part of the 18th century (late baroque) with the statue of Pieta, which was made around 1410. The statue was made in the old workshop in Ptujska Gora. The centre of the pilgrims’ worship is a new statue of St. Mary, which stands on the baroque throne in the church. The Chapel of St. Ana dates back to the 14th century. The interior is formed in a unified style. The figurative painting with decoration, from 1902, is a work of Fr. Gornik. The Chapel of St. Mohor and Fortunat was founded at the beginning of the 15th century. Its original form is preserved only in the ground plan, hewed entrance portal, triumphal arch and rib-vaulted presbytery. Today’s neogothic furniture comes from the end of the 19th century. In that time, the church was transformed into the Last Station of the Cross. The Sanctuary was under the ownership and protectorate of the Family of the Princes Windisch-Graetz.

Grad Podsreda of the Windisch-Graetz Family near the Sanctuary of Svete Gore

Bizeljsko (Wisell) of Windisch-Graetz Family near the Sanctuary of Svete Gore

  EMBASSY OF THE SOVEREIGN ORDER OF MALTA TO THE REPUBLIC OF SLOVENIA  
VeleposlaniŠtvo Suverenega MalteŠkega VojaŠkega Reda v Republiki Sloveniji Ciril Metodov trg 8 Sl-1000 Ljubljana, Slovenija
Tel. +386(0)15883410 Fax +386(0)15883404 e-mail:sloveniaembassy@orderofmalta.int